Friday, September 12, 2008

Walmart Price Scan

Hello,

I am writing in frustration from the level of service that I received recently at the Deerfield Walmart Supercenter (Store #1441 - Mason, Ohio). I am typically not a Wal-Mart shopper, since the Wal-Mart that is closets to my house (Store #2250 - Highland / Ridge) is not in the best part of town and always seems a little dingy if not outright scary. But I had a Wal-Mart merchandise card from a return I had recently made and there is a new Wal-Mart that recently opened on my way home from work, so I thought I would give it a try.

I came in because I needed to purchase a plain white T-shirt for my son to take to school for a tie-dye project that they are doing. I went in, and asked the greeter where the boys' clothes were. He pointed me in the general direction and I headed back that way. So far, so good. I got to the shirts. Although I only needed one, plain white T-shirts were only sold in 3 or 5 packs. After comparing a few different sizes and brands, I settled on a 5 pack of shirts that was marked as being sold for $5.00.

I took them up to the cashier where they rang up at $5.50. I told the cashier that they were marked at $5.00 and we kind of awkwardly looked at each other for awhile. So I decided to just take them back and go double check that I had a) read the sign correctly and b) grabbed the correct package. I went back and verified that both of those were true - they were truly marked at $5.00, not $5.50.

So I went back to the checkout lanes. The cashier I had first talked to had people in our line, so I went to the open lane next to her. I explained to her that they had rung up at $5.50 but they were priced at $5.00. Most stores that I go to would have just accepted my word on that, counting on the fact that most people will not sacrifice their honor or integrity for 50 cents!!!! But apparently it is different at Walmart.

We ambled back to the shirts at approximately the speed of an advancing glacier. We got back there, sure enough, they were marked $5.00 and we (again slowly) marched back to the checkout lanes. On our way back, I asked if Walmart had a price-scan guarantee where you get the item for free if it scans wrong, similar to Kroger. Rather than just answer the question, she laughed at me! As if this was the silliest thing that she had ever heard, rather than the actual policy of the nation's largest grocery store company!!

I did get the item for the marked price of $5.00, but if this is the kind of service that I can expect at Wal-Mart stores, I guess I will go back to my life of not shopping there.

Thank you for your time

Dan Miller.

PS - In just doing some Internet searching, it appears that Wal-Mart DOES have this kind of price scan guarantee after all!! Way to add insult to injury there!

================
Ed note: I did send that PS as part of the comment - also, like some stores Walmart does limit the number of characters you can send. But at least it's 3000 (instead of 1400) so I was able to fit it in. I had a few good metaphors for how slowly we walked back there but I went with the glacier one. I was going to apologize for making fun of the elderly but I didn't want to waste the characters :-)

2 comments:

Doug Bloebaum said...

Good stuff! If you haven't already read http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America/dp/0805063897 you should check it out. It doesn't excuse the Wal-Mart "associate" from laughing at you, but it may give you some insight as to why he/she did. :-)

dan said...

Eh - I haven't read that book but I've heard of it. There are a few problems I have with the author's methodologies but it is interesting nonetheless.