Friday, September 12, 2008

Kroger cake fiasco

Hello,

I am writing to complain about some poor service I received this morning at my local Kroger store (#402 - Madeira Ohio). At my work, we have a team meeting each month and as part of that we buy a cake to share as a birthday treat for the members of our team who have had birthdays during the past month.

Today was the first month of it now being my responsibility to buy this cake. I headed to Kroger early this morning and started browsing the cake selections. They all had various prices on them but there was one without a price. I held it up to the worker behind the bakery counter and asked how much this cake was. She said $8.99 - this seemed like a good deal compared to the other cake prices so I put it in my cart and headed to the checkout.

When I got there, it rang up $15.99. I told the cashier that the bakery worker had told me it was $8.99. Apparently $8.99 is the standard price for 1/8 sheet cakes, whereas the one I got was a 1/4 sheet. I asked her to call back to bakery on the phone which she did. Rather than modify the price to $0 (which would seemingly be the thing to do per your price scan guarantee), or even apologize for not seeing the size of the cake I held up (after all, an honest mistake), the bakery worker told the cashier THAT THE CAKE I HELD UP WAS A 1/8 SHEET CAKE!!!! Umm, no, no it was not.

If this is the kind of service I can expect from Kroger stores, I will be making my future monthly cake purchases at Meijer.

Thank you for your time

===============
Update 21-Sep-2008 - success!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, by chance was aunt flow with you when you bought the cake???

dan said...

I'm not sure who you are or what you mean, but no.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous was asking if you were having your menstrual period when this occurred. :)

Anonymous said...

people arent honest,never expect it.