Friday, September 12, 2008

Lowe's

Hello,

I am writing to complain about a series of extremely frustrating incidents that happened recently at my local Lowe's store (Store #1585 - Norwood, Ohio).

First of all, as part of a deck that I am building, I bought a 1# box of 16-penny ring shank nails. A few days later, when I went to use them, I noticed that the package had been opened and re-taped, apparently returned by someone and then re-put on the shelf. Apparently this person was a bit unscrupulous, as half the nails were missing and in their place were a few assorted bolts, other kinds of nails and screws (maybe to make up the weight of the nails).

This was extremely frustrating as when I buy something from a store, I like to have confidence that what I am purchasing will be high quality and what I need - not half-used material that is put back on the shelf.

So I made the trip (back) to Lowe's and returned the nails. I had no issues getting my money back so I went back to find a (hopefully unopened this time) box of nails. I found the marking where those nails were supposed to be, but on the shelf above that marking were just straight nails (not the kind I needed). I looked for an employee and after several minutes finally found one. He looked but said he didn't know anything about this and suggested I go check with the man up by the key making machine. He was busy fixing something but at least took the time to call me over the manager of the hardware department. After a few minutes, she came by and we looked back there. She opened the various cabinets and looked on the various shelves and overstock space but could not find any. She looked in the computer and said she was supposed to have 24 of them, but there were none in the entire store.

After striking out with the nails, I went to the paint department to purchase some paint. I gave the employees my paint swatch and they set to tint my paint. After waiting around for awhile, she gave me my paint. As I walked away, luckily I checked the paint droplet that she had put on the top because the shade did not look right. I can sometimes have trouble distinguishing colors and of course sometimes wet paint does not look exactly the color it will be when it dries, but I took this back to the counter just to make sure. Sure enough - she had given me someone else's paint!!! I waited around for a bit more and finally got my paint.

Now I made my way to the checkout in somewhat of a hurry. I had not counted on spending over an hour in Lowe's and was running a bit late. To top things off, the cashier miscounted the amount of money I gave her. An honest mistake and it was only 5 cents, but it really was the topper to an afternoon full of mistakes at Lowe's.

As a professional rehabber, I have always kind of been of the impression that Home Depot and Lowe's were essentially the same store - that you could pretty much find the same stuff with the same service, etc. But if this is the kind of experiences that I am likely to receive at Lowe's stores, I know which chain will be getting my business!!

Thank you for your time

Dan Miller.

PS - In the end, it kind of worked out well, since after leaving Lowe's, I drove 1/2 mile down the street to Home Depot, where the nails were over 30% cheaper!!! ($3.59 vs. $5.39 for a 1# box)

===========
Update: I had to follow-up to this email when nobody answered

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I just read your last three complaints. Amusing for sure. :-) I'd have have to bet that you ENJOY complaining. You certainly are good at it. Hee hee. But I agree with you. These are large companies making tons of money and they all supposedly work to have great customer service. But in reality, the basic person who works at these places really doesn't care about their job and doesn't provide good customer service.

dan said...

Yeah I do kind of enjoy complaining. I have to admit to after visiting each of these places, mentally composing my complaint letter as I left.

dan said...

And wow was that some tortured grammar in my previous comment

Anonymous said...

I have had the worst experience with Lowes of any store I have dealt with ever. Specifically I am dealing with the Lowes in Memphis, TN on Winchester. I went to the store looking for a refrigerator and they convinced me that a Bosch Linea cabinet depth fridge was an excellent model and I purchase a model at what I think is a good deal. They can only schedule the delivery a week out which is fine I can wait. The day that they delivered the fridge they essentially just brought it into the space in my kitchen on a dolly put it on the floor, and start to push it into place at which point it starts making a horrendous noise which they insist is perfectly normal and then they leave.

I should have watched them more closely and I would have known that not only did they not level the fridge at all but they also pushed the fridge into place with a large metal plate protruding from the bottom scraping my hard wood floor. And there are now parts on the bottom the fridge tha look like they are getting crushed.

I call Lowes back to complain and they say they will send another guy out right away. So a couple hours later this guy arrives by himself when really this is a two man job to begin with and he looks at the fridge tells me he can't level it but that he will contact the manager to have him call me to schedule another person to fix it but in the process of trying to level it he has put the fridge extremely high in the front and very low in the back.

The manager calls me back and says that he can't get someone to come out until Wednesday morning (this is on Sunday by the way). So over the period of Monday and Tuesday the fridge starts to make loud noises intermittenly which I can only assume is due to the angle of the fridge and what occured during delivery. So I wait all morning on Wednesday and no one ever shows up. I call later and speak with an assistant manager as the store manager is on vacation and she says they can replace the fridge and she will call me back. I don't hear from her for a couple hours so I call back and she says she can't bring another fridge that I have to call the Lowes service 800 number. I do so and the prompts on thei automated system just send my call to Bosch who promptly tells me this is an installation issue and I have to contact Lowes. I all the same mamager back and she says she is sure I should call the service number but will do it for me and call me back. I wait another hour and no word from her so i call her again. This time she tells me the Lowes service said this would be fine and I should just call this authorized Bosh aplliance repair company. I call them and they tell me that no they only have an agreement with Bosch, this is a Lowes Installation issue and if I have them come out it would be out of my pocket. I call the manager back and tell her this and she tells me that she does not know what to do.

So now I am stuck in a situation where I have a fridge that is just getting worse, the Lowe's installers don't know how to install or fix the Bosch fridge they sold me and the Lowe's Management won't help me even though it is entirely their installers fault by their own admitance.

James P said...

I have had the worst experience with Lowes of any store I have dealt with ever. Specifically I am dealing with the Lowes in Memphis, TN on Winchester. I went to the store looking for a refrigerator and they convinced me that a Bosch Linea cabinet depth fridge was an excellent model and I purchase a model at what I think is a good deal. They can only schedule the delivery a week out which is fine I can wait. The day that they delivered the fridge they essentially just brought it into the space in my kitchen on a dolly put it on the floor, and start to push it into place at which point it starts making a horrendous noise which they insist is perfectly normal and then they leave.

I should have watched them more closely and I would have known that not only did they not level the fridge at all but they also pushed the fridge into place with a large metal plate protruding from the bottom scraping my hard wood floor. And there are now parts on the bottom the fridge that look like they are getting crushed.

I call Lowes back to complain and they say they will send another guy out right away. So a couple hours later this guy arrives by himself when really this is a two man job to begin with and he looks at the fridge tells me he can't level it but that he will contact the manager to have him call me to schedule another person to fix it but in the process of trying to level it he has put the fridge extremely high in the front and very low in the back.

The manager calls me back and says that he can't get someone to come out until Wednesday morning (this is on Sunday by the way). So over the period of Monday and Tuesday the fridge starts to make loud noises intermittently which I can only assume is due to the angle of the fridge and what occurred during delivery. So I wait all morning on Wednesday and no one ever shows up. I call later and speak with an assistant manager as the store manager is on vacation and she says they can replace the fridge and she will call me back. I don't hear from her for a couple hours so I call back and she says she can't bring another fridge that I have to call the Lowes service 800 number. I do so and the prompts on their automated system just send my call to Bosch who promptly tells me this is an installation issue and I have to contact Lowes. I call the same manager back and she says she is sure I should call the service number but will do it for me and call me back. I wait another hour and no word from her so I call her again. This time she tells me the Lowes service said this would be fine and I should just call this authorized Bosh appliance repair company. I call them and they tell me that no they only have an agreement with Bosch, this is a Lowes Installation issue and if I have them come out it would be out of my pocket. I call the manager back and tell her this and she tells me that she does not know what to do.

So now I am stuck in a situation where I have a fridge that is just getting worse, the Lowe's installers don't know how to install or fix the Bosch fridge they sold me and the Lowe's Management won't help me even though it is entirely their installers fault by their own admittance.

Unhappy Lowes Customer said...

We bought a GE profile refrigerator at Lowes 2 years ago. It has had to be repaired 4 times, since then. Four times in 2 years, we have had spoiled food, water all over the floor, and an average of a week without a refrigerator. In researching it I find that GE has had something like 2 recalls on their refrigerators, so I shouldn’t be surprised I suppose, and yes we should have done our homework better. The real disappointment has been Lowes. We have shopped at Lowes a lot because we thought they had good customer service. With the refrigerator, it has been an ordeal. First they delivered a refrigerator that didn’t work, had cut wires inside, and had stains on the shelves. The repairman said “Oh yes, this is the refrigerator that those other people sent back”. We returned it. Then they delivered our current refrigerator, which of course has died 4 times. The good news is that we bought the service plan, which includes a “lemon law”. The bad news is that lemon law doesn’t seem to mean anything, in reality.